Middle School Academy
The CDES Middle School Academy is a Western international English language 6-8 academic program with the purpose of developing the whole student for the challenges of the 21st century. Students in this program will participate in a course of study designed to connect students to global issues and challenges while maintaining a focus on Chinese history, culture, language, and tradition.
The program is open to both Chinese and foreign passport holders.
The CDES Middle School Academy will open August 2017 with our first 6th grade class. In August 2018 7th grade will be added. In August 2019 8th grade will be added.
The core philosophy of CDES Middle School Academy is that every student is unique and has potential as a learner and citizen of the world. We believe that while the purpose of education is to impart knowledge and skills to a student, there is much more that can be learned than what is in a book or course of study. Learning means embracing values and traits that will help the child not only be successful as a scholar but will help them impact wherever they live in positive and meaningful ways. We call this the CDES Experience. Being a CDES student means that the student will be expected to excel in all areas of life with discipline and integrity. For that reason, the middle school has the following set of values that we believe are essential.
- Every student is unique and has the potential to make an impact on the world as a leader.
- Children learn more when they are challenged to study complex global issues and develop an understanding of other places and people through travel and interaction.
- Serving others helps develop our understanding of ourselves.
- Children grow best when they are trained as the whole person and are allowed to grow intellectually, emotionally, socially, and artistically.
- It is important to respect the traditions of the Chinese people through the study of the language, the history, and the culture.
- Self-discipline leads to excellence in all things academic, artistic, social, moral, and athletic.
- Every student is expected to live by a code of conduct that emphasizes wisdom, integrity, love, and honor above all things.